Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday #22


“Waiting on” Wednesday is a weekly event hosted at Breaking the Spine that spotlights an upcoming release (or releases) that we’re eagerly anticipating.

My picks this week:

The Gathering Storm (Katerina Alexandrovna #1)
By: Robin Bridges
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: January 10, 2012

Description:

St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue.

An evil presence is growing within Europe’s royal bloodlines – and those aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina’s strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources… including two young men – George Alexandrovich, the tsar;s standoffish middle son, who needs Katerina’s help to safeguard Russia, even if he’s repelled by her secret, and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom Katerina feels inexplicably drawn.

The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will she choose – and to whom will she give her heart?

Why I’m waiting: I have a bit of a thing for Russian settings, since I used to live there, and it’s been ages since I read a YA book with a Russian slant, so I’m really excited for this one. Plus, tell me there’s 19th century aristocracy in ANY setting and I’m so there. Love me a good historical novel. AND there’s a paranormal twist! So much awesome happening all at once!


Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1)
By: Anne Greenwood Brown
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: June 12, 2012

Description:

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother’s death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family’s homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock’s daughter, Lily. Easy enough – especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistible good looks and charm on unsuspecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily – just as Lily starts to suspect that there’s more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

I love the idea of mermaids as killers luring their prey into the deep, so this premise looks fascinating to me. And I’m excited about the male narrator. How often do we get to read about mermen?? Can't wait for this one! Too bad June is so far away… SIGH.


What books are you waiting on this week?

18 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read a book that is told from the perspective of a murderous merman! That is definitely something new. The cover for The Gathering Storm makes me think of winter and cold. But I can see where having lived in Russia makes you like reading books set there. That's probably why I'm so drawn to books set in the south. Great choices! Check out my WOW here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seen Lies Beneath around today...Looks more interesting to me than A Gathering Storm...but both look good...
    Nina @ Death Books and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked a couple of awesome choices. I'm really really excited for Lies Beneath. I absolutely must read it! I love the hero's name, I love stories about Merfolk, and the plot idea in general just gives me shivers. I have to know what will happen.

    As for The Gathering Storm, it sounds very promising too. Historical paranormal with a female necromancer and a potential love triangle (that's the vibe I'm getting...) Sign me up! By the way, I seem to recall seeing this available over on http://www.netgalley.com. I highly suggest setting up an account with them and requesting it if you're dying to check it out. I only have about 30 more followers then you and I've read two galleys through them now. The worst anyone can say is no. :)

    Anyway, have a great evening. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to double post, but just incase you are interested in what I was saying, I took the liberty of going to netgalley and finding the book for you. If you scroll down this page, it's the fifth one:

    http://www.netgalley.com/index2.php?module=catalog&page=8&genre=30&sdir=2&sfld=1&type=0&txt=the+gathering+storm

    I hope that is helpful. :) Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am quite interested in The Gathering Storm. I have always been intrigued about Russian history and this sounds very exciting. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to buy both of them and I love the covers, my WOW http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both sound really cool. I love the cover is Lies Beneath. Great picks!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh I like the cover for Lies Beneath! Looks interesting too!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of setting a paranormal book in Russia, much less 19th century Russia. That's definitely getting added to my list.

    WOW @ Working for the Mandroid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Historical fiction with fantasy elements? Yes please! New follower here - great book choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Gathering Storm looks like an awesome read. I love Russian settings, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lies Beneath looks really good!!! I haven't read of it before, totally adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow these sound pretty good! And those cover are gorgeous also. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Gathering Storm looks amazing! I have to agree with you too, I love book with Russian settings. But sadly there isn`t a lot of them :(

    Thanks for stopping by and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jealous!! You lived in Russia. I've never even visited.... oh, some day. Sigh. (Also another reason why you'll love VA, Dimitri is a badass Russian god! hehe).

    I LOVE the sound of The Gathering Storm and also Lies beneath because hello killer mermaids. See, I always knew there's a reason my body refused to learn to swim! *avoids the water*

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Gathering Storm sounds awesome byt I've never heard of Lies. I love the cover of both of them.

    Check out my Wow:
    http://seeitorreadit.blogspot.com/2011/10/wow-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both of these books look awesome!!
    I love the cover of Lies Beneath!

    thanks for stopping by my blog and happy reading :)

    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to tell me what you think! I treasure every single comment and I'll do my best to visit your blog in return. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...