Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Waiting On" Wednesday #23

“Waiting on” Wednesday is a weekly event hosted at Breaking the Spine that spotlights an upcoming release (or releases) that we’re eagerly anticipating.

My picks this week:

The Language of Impossible Dreams
By: Sarah Ockler
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: August 7, 2012

Description:

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life, and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she’s a girl who doesn’t believe in second chances… a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom’s diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life… and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She’s got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who’s been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It’s time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she’s willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last.

Why I’m Waiting: Sarah Ockler does contemporary teenage angst really well (Twenty Boy Summer was awesome and heartbreaking), and I can’t wait to read more from her. I’m also really interested to find out what Hudson big dreams are. So intriguing!


Seraphina (no cover yet)
By: Rachel Hartman
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Add it on Goodreads!

Description:

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty’s anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered – in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen’s Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.

In her exquisitely written fantasy debut, Rachel Hartman creates a rich, complex, and utterly original world. Seraphina’s tortuous journey to self-acceptance is one readers will remember long after they’ve turned the final page.

Why I’m Waiting: I really love the high fantasy genre, but for some reason I don’t read it nearly often enough, so I’m definitely looking forward to this one. Also: human/dragon shapeshifters? Royal murder? Court investigations? Deadly secrets? I have a feeling this is one that will totally suck me into the world and I can’t wait.


That’s it for me, what books are you waiting on this week?

13 comments:

  1. I love Sarah Ockler! I'm so excited she has another book coming out! Great pick :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first book you chose was very differnt from any book I have seen so far and I really like that. I also love the cover and some good ol teen angst !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful picks, Andie! I can't wait for both of these titles!

    MY W.O.W:http://mochalattereads.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-on-wednesday29_26.html

    -Wendy from A Cupcake and a Latte: YA Reviews

    PS. I have a giveaway for a copy of Destined by PC and Kristin Cast over at the blog, check it out! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are both great picks. I love high fantasy as well but haven't been reading much of it lately. Seraphina sounds like a great fantasy read! Find out what I'm waiting on here

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED Twenty Boy Summer, so another Sarah Ockler book deserves a place on my TBR pile! Adding to my list! Thank you!

    Here's my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm? I wonder what "the betrayal" is?
    I haven't heard of Seraphina until now, but like the sound of it.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good, here's mine http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-on-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of these sound absolutely amazing. The first one has been on my to-read list for a while now, but I'll need to add Seraphina to my wishlist as well. :)

    Thanks for sharing,
    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't heard of these but they sound interesting! Hope you love them both once they release!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pick! I've had Twenty Boy Summer at home for a while now I should read it soon.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. High fantasy? Yes please. This sounds great, even without a cover to judge (which I totally DO all the time).

    Excellent choices, particularly Seraphina. I'll be on the lookout for that one.

    ~Asheley

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think both of these are new to me - thanks for putting them on my radar! I really liked Sarah Ockler's Twenty Boy Summer so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this next one of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm excited about them both, but really excited about Ockler's new one. It looks so great!!!

    I'm a new follower. :)

    Amanda @ Letters Inside Out

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to tell me what you think! I treasure every single comment and I'll do my best to visit your blog in return. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...