Friday, April 13, 2012

Review: The Devil in Disguise by Stefanie Sloane

The Devil in Disguise (Regency Rogues #1)
By: Stefanie Sloane
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Genre/Age: Adult Historical Romance
Pages: 320
Source: ARC from Goodreads First Reads

Lord William Randall, the Duke of Clairemont, is a rake with little regard for society – a most unlikely suitor for Lady Lucinda Grey. But his latest assignment for the Young Corinthians, an elite spy organization, involves protecting her from a kidnapping plot. To do this, the notorious “Iron Will” must use his devilish charm to seduce Lucinda and convince her he’s worthy of his attention. William never planned to become enthralled by the lovely Lady Grey – or to lose his own heart in the bargain.

Beautiful and fiercely intelligent, Lucinda has managed to gracefully sidestep even the most persistent suitors. Until the Duke of Clairemont, that is. She’s tempted by his sinfully sensuous mouth and piercing eyes, and finds it hard to resist the champion thoroughbred he offers her in exchange for the honor of courting her. Can she keep him at arm’s length when his touch begs her to let him so much closer?



Yes, sometimes I read romance novels. They’re a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine and I’m not afraid to admit it. And while The Devil in Disguise may not be the best romance novel available, I had a lot of fun reading it.

For a romance novel, there isn’t actually a lot of sex in The Devil in Disguise, which kind of threw me off at first and made me think I wasn’t enjoying it (because come on, let’s be honest, that’s what you’re expecting when you read a romance, right?). The banter and verbal foreplay (for lack of a better term) between William and Lucinda is excellent, but their scenes in the bedroom are limited, both in quantity and quality, which was a big disappointment after such great buildup.

Once I accepted this, though, I found myself actually enjoying the novel. It’s a pretty standard romance in terms of plot and outcome, but the journey to get there is highly entertaining. I love the spy/bodyguard premise and both Lucinda and William are such fun characters. Although I have to say, I never really understood why Lucinda was the victim of a kidnapping plot. I don’t know if I missed something somewhere, but that just never made much sense to me.

All in all, if you’re a fan of Regency romance, you’ll probably like this book. It’s a light, fun read that, while not the best Regency out there, is sure to keep you entertained for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and taking the time to tell me what you think! I treasure every single comment and I'll do my best to visit your blog in return. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...